Areas of Expertise
Writing and editing; communications and content strategy; usability and user experience design; information architecture; team leadership
Jive Social Business Software, Microsoft Office, Adobe Creative Suite, SharePoint, multiple content management systems (WordPress, Drupal, etc.)
HTML, CSS, XML
Professional Writing and Editing Experience
- Contributed to story development for Champions of Norrath: Realms of EverQuest and Champions: Return to Arms.
- Contributed in-game content to other Sony Online Entertainment games, including PlanetSide, EverQuest, and EverQuest II.
- Created first style guide for Sony Online Entertainment Web Presence.
- Served as associate editor on fiction anthology series Best American Fantasy.
- Graduate of the Odyssey Writing Workshop.
Professional Business Achievements
- Secured executive and senior-level stakeholders buy-in for the company-wide implementation of Jive SBS for a new intranet.
- Successfully drove Dannon's intranet redesign that simplified and expanded employee content contribution, eliminating information bottleneck and improving employee’s organizational awareness.
- Championed Dannon’s move to cloud-based technology service, saving more than $350,000 in estimated IT infrastructure costs.
- Executed adoption and training plan for Jive system, realizing 96% adoption success within the first two months of deployment.
Digital Content Specialist, Wizards of the Coast, Renton, WA2013—2014
Improved website content quality and usability for customers. Wrote and edited articles for Magic: The Gathering websites, knowledge base, FAQs, and “how-tos,” as well as email newsletters and customer communications.
Web Communications Manager, The Dannon Company Inc., White Plains, NY2010—2013
- Planned and executed the implementation of DannonLive, the new company intranet based on the Jive Social Business Software platform.
- Completed discovery research and user testing, ensuring intranet expectations were managed and met.
- Worked directly with HR, Sales, Marketing, and IT departments, as well as executives and international parent company stakeholders to establish and deliver on project KPI’s.
- Developed adoption plan, trained content administrators, and wrote standard operating procedures for new DannonLive intranet.
- Managed intranet content, internal and external printed materials, and customer-facing website content.
Web Content Manager, EDMC Online Higher Education, Pittsburgh, PA2009—2010
Managed content for student and faculty portals. Assisted with brand social media presences on Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn.
- Launched Oracle’s UCM system to deliver dynamic, user-centric content for student and faculty portals for The Art Institutes, Argosy University, and South University.
Senior Site and Content Manager, Time Warner Cable Inc., Stamford, CT2009
Contracted to manage site content transition for corporate headquarters, coordinating with multiple regional Web teams across the U.S. Communicated new site governance rules and ensured accessibility compliance.
Freelance Content Writer and Editor, New York and Seattle2006—Present
Provided writing, editing, and content strategy services to business and publishing clients.
- Associate Editor for the Best American Fantasy anthology series.
Senior Editor, Sony Online Entertainment, San Diego, CA2000—2006
Supervised Creative Services and Web Content teams, producing content and materials for websites, product packaging, public relations, marketing, and the company intranet.
M.S. Information Design and Technology, SUNY Institute of Technology - Utica, NY
Graduate study in information architecture, design, human-computer interaction, and technology.
Certificate in Copyediting, University of California, San Diego - San Diego, CA
Professional training and certification as a copyeditor.
B.A. English, Creative Writing, Old Dominion University - Norfolk, VA1999
Studied creative writing and journalism.
- 1994 – Contributing writer, The Dominion Review
- 1995 – Associate editor, The Dominion Review